Monday, April 10, 2006

High school dropout problem is not with the schools...

but with families, friends, peer groups and society. I spent grades 4, 5 and 6 in Weed, California, elementary school where there was one classroom for each grade. There were Anglos (like me), Hispanics, African-Americans and a smattering of everything else. There was no 'seperate, but equal' crap.

I observed that all students in my classes had the same teacher, same books, same tests, same assignments and yet the blacks got the lowest grades (often failing), the Hispanics were somewhat higher and the Anglos on top. Why? I was expected to study, to do my homework and prepare for tests. Failure was not the fault of the school. If I did poorly my Dad whipped my butt. Talk about incentive! I also lost privileges like TV and desserts.

I have been a teacher and observed the same problem with the various ethnic groups. The dropout problem is not from the school or teachers by and large but from the student, his or her peer group, family and so on. They are responsible and must be held accountable.

In the 1970's when I lived again in Weed I met a great individual, a black minister named the Rev. Green. He and his wife were outstanding people and they did make some improvements within the 'Colored Town' part of town. They were the only black family in town that subscribed to the newspaper. I know because I delivered it.

Think I am full of bs? Go to any high school in the morning and see how many books each student from the various ethnic groups are carrying. I rest my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home